Monday 29 October 2012

Egypt (4) - Cairo


Camels will cost you extra, sorry.


With every mile covered, as I draw closer to Cairo a conflict of sentiment intensifies.  Cairo is the symbolic 'end' of my Cape-to-Cairo leg.  My bike is running smoothly and it's very probable I'll now make my destination without disaster.  I'm excited, relieved, tired and yes, a little bit proud.

Alas, the traffic density deepens; the highway heads through dune-like estates of identical concrete accommodation blocks.  The average Egyptian family is much poorer than their Western equivalent, and lives in crumbling accommodation, covets his neighbour's rusty Lada, and struggles with drudgery if he's fortunate enough to hold a job, that is.  Cairo is struggling to cope with it's expanding population.

 It's only 9am, and a holiday, but the noise and debris of this sprawling mega-city starts to eat away at my desert-induced zen-like calm.  Car horns compete with belching tail pipes, a cacophony that reaches fever pitch as I turn into Giza's Pyramid Road and squeeze through the crowd of taxis and touts and camels and horses and busloads of tourists all heading to the iconic attraction.

I need to reach my destination, but part of me wants to abandon Cairo already.

The Giza pyramids sit shockingly close to the urban centre, within easy sight of the smog pall hanging over the 22 million inhabitants.   A majority of those appear to be visiting the pyramids today, and I'm resigned to including the odd tour group in my photo of the grand daddy pyramid - Khufu, or Cheops to his friends. 

I cite the Lonely Planet Guide again, to save time:

The oldest pyramid in Giza and the largest in Egypt, the Great Pyramid of Khufu stood 146m high when it was completed around 2570 BC.  After 46 windy centuries, its height has been reduced by 9m. About 2.3 million limestone blocks, reckoned to weigh about 2.5 tonnes each, were used in the construction.

(Even calculating 2.5 million x 2.5 tonnes doesn't adequately convey the sheer bulk of the thing.)

My uncle subsequently informs me that my own grand daddy - whilst serving in Egypt in WWII - whacked a chunk off the pyramid and thereafter used that as a paperweight.  A shocking confession, and how am I supposed to reconcile that with my belief in sustainable tourism, eh?  ;)

Being a model tourist, I take only photos and leave only footprints (and tread marks).  No camel ride for me - I already have a far more attractive beast of burden as my companion. In fact, I lose count of the number of tourists who want to have their photo with me and the bike, rather than old Cheops.  I suppose they think my name is Ewan or something...

Anyway, with the remarkable access afforded to foreign motorcyclists - the police seem used to it, and are very friendly - I ride around the site a little and even find some space to be alone.  The grandeur of the rocky plateau is impossible to deny, and I'm really quite taken by the place: the elegant pyramids standing against the cobalt sky as they have for millennia.  These are the only surviving Ancient Wonder Of The World, you know.  The lines of camels plodding around the surrounding desert just add to the atmosphere.  I still enlightenment, but at least I've found my 'kodak moment'.

Cut to the late afternoon.  I've set up tent in the backyard of a grand property on the edge of the West Bank.  The miniature pool looks nice, but the price is steep, the mosquitoes voracious and the owners prickly.  I think I'd rather be in a hostel somewhere central, but here the parking is secure and I have the company of a friendly English couple about to head south to Cape Town.  (It's fun how the overlanding community stays in touch with one another - I know of them, and they know many of our mutual acquaintances.)

On Monday I set out on a huge tour of Cairo.  The Egyptian Museum is on everybody's list (I can tell - everybody seems to be here), and this warehouse of a building contains hundreds of huge granite carvings and thousands of smaller, equally priceless artefact's.  It's slightly overwhelming, and requires a degree of pre-reading and stamina that I lack.  Two hours takes me on a whirlwind walk through all those dynasties, and I admire the treasures of Tutankhamun: what a find that must have been!

My hired driver-for-the-day adopts Ben Hur driving techniques to get through Tahrir Square into Downtown, and then on into the Islamic quarter - the medieval heart of the city.  The Citadel presides over a commanding view of the city, and comprises two huge mosques.  I'm reminded of the fabulous Turkish mosques of Istanbul. 

Looking out over the Islamic quarter of Cairo

Lonely Planet saves me typing...

Saladin began building the Citadel in 1176 to fortify the city against the Crusaders, who were then rampaging through Palestine. Following their overthrow of Saladin’s Ayyubid dynasty, the Mamluks enlarged the complex, adding sumptuous palaces and harems.... The only Mamluk structure left standing was a single mosque, used as a stable.  Mohammed Ali completely remodelled the rest of the Citadel and crowned it with the Turkish-style mosque that currently dominates Cairo’s eastern skyline.

The fortress is dominated by the Mosque of Mohammed Ali.  Modelled along classic Turkish lines, with domes upon domes upon domes, it took 18 years to build (1830– 48), and its interior is all twinkling chandeliers and luridly striped stone. Perhaps the most evocative description of it is in Olivia Manning’s The Levant Trilogy: ‘Above them Mohammed Ali’s alabaster mosque, uniquely white in this sand-coloured city, sat with minarets pricked, like a fat, white, watchful cat’. Other writers have called it unimaginative and graceless and compared it to a toad.


I thought it looked quite good, personally.  Shows what I know.




Local families are enjoying the last day of the Eid festival, sitting out of the sun and enjoying the views.  The young Egyptians are shy, but ask me politely for photos - after all my own snapping, I can hardly refuse them a shot of the bearded foreigner.  The short conversations that follow imbue me with a warm enthusiasm for these teens and twenty-somethings.  They are guile-less, sincere and glowing with the aspirations of youth.  Maybe this is a Generation Y that will take their country - post-Arab Spring - in a positive direction? 


If so, it seems (if I may be so bold) that there is much for them to do.  The once-beautiful city of Cairo is almost crushed by overburdened transport channels; the canals choked with filth and plastics; the air thick with pollution. I read time and again that one must look beneath all this to find the charm, and to fall in love with the metropolis.  But honestly, when so many other cities succeed in creating a better first impression (and back that up), why would I? 

Seen at Aswan.  Many a true word written in jest...
Today, Cairo has all the charm of a giant sports stadium on cup final day, spilling out an hour after the final whistle blows: bad food, dirty toilets, litter strewn, overcrowded, and somewhere you'll get your pockets picked.  The kind of place you're suddenly in a press to leave.  

No doubt, if one relocated here, and made more of an effort than I have, it would win your affections.  But that is true of every city - even Swindon.

Shameless in my superficial judgment, I keep up my mini-tour and call in at the Coptic quarter.  I study the Lonely Planet again:

Coptic Cairo is the heartland of Egypt’s indigenous Christian community, a haven of tranquillity and peace that reveals layers of history.  Archaeologists have found traces of a small Nileside settlement on this site from as early as the 6th century BC.

... Egyptian Christians split from the Orthodox Church of the Eastern (or Byzantine) Empire, of which Egypt was then a part of, after the main body of the church described Christ as both human and divine. Dioscurus, the patriarch of Alexandria, refused to accept this description, and embraced the theory that Christ is totally absorbed by his divinity and that it is blasphemous to consider him human.

The Coptic Church is ruled by a patriarch, other members of the religious hierarchy and an ecclesiastical council of laypeople. It has a long history of monasticism and can justly claim that the first Christian monks, St Anthony and St Pachomius, were Copts. ... The Copts have long provided something of an educated elite in Egypt, filling many important government and bureaucratic posts. Furthermore, they’ve always been an economically powerful minority, and the vast majority of Copts are wealthy and influential.

With that said, there are also a lot of Copts at the very bottom of the heap: the zabbalin, the garbage-pickers of Cairo, who collect and sort through most of the city’s rubbish, have always been Copts.

Okay...  But I'm bamboozled by the place, and my lack of research is telling - I completely miss the point; the point for most tourists being to find the quaint enclave hiding below street level.  I also missed the entrance to the Sphinx yesterday, and I suspect the spirit of Cairo is teaching me a lesson - reserving some of her best for those more willing to appreciate it.  It's a fair indictment of my graceless visit, sure enough.

In the taxi again, caught in congestion, I have time to pause and think a little more. Presumably, the point is not checking off another site, another attraction, another been-there-done-that.  Maybe it's as simple as sitting with a bubble pipe in a coffee cafe, listening to the gentle click-clack of backgammon?  That's what finally worked for me in Istanbul, if I recall.  After travelling so far, am I really still no further on?

I try to put to one side the anxiety and resentment stirred in this self-pitying tourist-victim.  I think of the individuals I've met in Egypt that gave me a good impression.   There are examples, lovely moments, and instances of the 'graciousness and humour' my guidebook promised. 

I didn't see what they were drinking, but had it been England I'm sure it would have been alcoholic

In a society that is so alien to my own, I need to give out more credit, and take in more of what is in front of me, before rushing to judge. 


-------------------------------------------------

Returned to camp at the end of the day, I've received travel news: the next ferry to Turkey from Port Said leaves in a couple of days, and I have time to make it.  The service is irregular and the bureaucracy involved in leaving Egypt is notorious, but it's the best option on the table right now:  Libya is (effectively) closed, and exit from Israel is expensive and relatively untested.

I have little time to waste, and this is the excuse I need to leave Cairo.  Clearly, I'm hardly any the wiser as to her charms.  But if I do return, I hope I'll now have more respect and bring more resourcefulness.  Like Egypt, Cairo is hard for me to understand - but maybe that's what makes it a suitable place to revisit one day?

---------------------------------------------
Not at Darfur, but if you've seen one pyramid...  right?  ;)

Before heading north, the following morning I follow my co-ordinates on a detour 30km south to the pyramids of Dashur.  I defer again to my learned friend, the Lonely Planet Guide:

The world’s oldest true pyramid is the North Pyramid, which is better known as the Red Pyramid. It derives its name either from the red tones of its weathered limestone, after the better-quality white limestone casing was re- moved, or perhaps from the red graffiti and construction marks scribbled on its masonry in ancient times.

Having learnt from their experiences building the Bent Pyramid, the same architects carried on where they had left off, building the Red Pyramid at the same 43° angle as the Bent Pyramid’s more gently inclining upper section.

The entrance – via 125 extremely steep stone steps and a 63m-long passage – takes you down to two antechambers with stunning 12m-high corbelled ceilings and a 15m-high corbelled burial chamber in which fragmentary human remains, possibly of Sneferu himself, were found.

What I can say for myself, is that the air inside the pyramid is indeed noxious; but worth breathing just to knowingly stand with that incredible weight of granite and sandstone propped up above me - it's a spooky experience!   Getting out is tricky too, if you are 6.3ft and wearing motorcycle gear...  that tight, 63m shaft back to the 'surface' takes quite an effort to complete.

Now, will getting out of Egypt itself be any easier?

That Kodak moment when Cape to Cairo became the past tense

[After reading all the Egypt blog posts, you can view a full photo gallery here: Photo Gallery - Egypt Slideshow ]



No comments:

Post a Comment