Monday 22 October 2012

Egypt (1) - Aswan and Luxor


 




Sunset sailing in a felucca, with the Nile slipping by quietly.


Erm....  Where to begin?  Commentators write that the history of Egypt is as long as the Nile.  And by way of example, my guide book lists dozens of different Pharoic dynasties, starting at 3100 BC and continuing up to 941 BC.  It takes two full pages to detail their names alone, and this still doesn't really convey how long ago they're talking about.

If Pharoahs don't float your felucca, you could study instead the later periods of Persian, Roman, Arab, Turkish or European influence; as these controlling powers fell over one another to rule Egypt for the next two-and-a-half millennia. 'True' independence was declared only in 1952, when a home-grown dictatorship dynasty began (ending with the 'Arab Spring' of 2011). 

Temple of Philae - relocated and rebuilt, but still mightily impressive
The weight of history, then, is heavy hereabouts.  One century is something I can grasp because my granny nearly reached 94.  I wonder if 'five hundred centuries' makes the leap back to Pharoic time easier to contemplate?   Hmmm.  If life expectancy is now at least double what it was, I'm not sure imagining a line of, say, one thousand grannies does much to help.

I contemplate this Egyptian riddle as I leap off the boat (literally), struggle through the crowds, and make my way into the town of  Aswan in the back of a battered Peugeot 504 taxi. 

The lion goes from strength to strength?

Every third car is the same model.  This French tank was our family car when I was a kid, and I'm filled with nostalgia: the interior is just as I remembered it, all the buttons, knobs and switches.  I remember my family wedging into the three rows of seats as we crossed counties to holiday in  Cumbria or Wales. 

My trip down memory lane is much more calming than the crazy driving carrying on outside.  Egyptians, I can see, adopt an unorthodox interpretation of their Highway Code.  Traffic light rules are optional, road lanes irrelevant, pedestrians expendable.

I have about a week whilst I wait for my bike to be barged up from Wadi Halfa.  Fortunately, there are plenty of sites to keep me busy.   And for once we're talking the archaeological kind, not those of the interweb-thingy.
 
----------------------------------

A week is a long time in Aswan.  Especially if you're fretting about the security of your much-loved motorcycle.  Will my bike even be on the next barge?  'I should have stayed to ensure that it was..', I tell myself ruefully.  Did I trust too much to that fixer - the guy I'd met only twice?  I'm uneasy about the arrangement and curse my impatience to get to Aswan.

Strangely, even with days at my disposal, getting an impression of what Egypt is about is proving even harder than usual.  A few blog posts cannot summarise the broad-bound history books, and I don't intent to try.  But what of the other aspects of the national make up? After reading my guide book I'm feeling intimidated by Egypt's cultural depth.  Beyond picture-postcard pyramids and the serpentine Nile, the country boasts a sophisticated identity that grapples with modern environmental issues almost as challenging as that little flooding-problem the ancients had.  In food and drink customs, national sports, or the role of women in society, Egypt has something to say.  And in anything that could be termed 'art' they also keep us tourists guessing:

From my Lonely Planet Guide: 

To the Arab world, Egypt (or more specifically Cairo) is a powerhouse of film, TV, music and theatre. While little of this culture has had any impact on the West, a great many Egyptian actors and singers are superstars and revered cultural icons to Arabic-speakers around the world.

And that is to say nothing of Nobel Prize winning literature or the deeply embedded - and mostly peacefully co-existing - religious convictions of the population (90% Muslim, 10% Coptic Christian).

Oh, and with Egypt being an Arabic-speaking county my ignorance knows no bounds!

I don't know how best to scratch the surface of all this - I need more research, more time on the ground and more interaction with locals: I need to live here for a while, really. 

===================================

Temporary plates

Thankfully, my bike is delivered before any other crazy notions pop into my head.  I'm relieved to find few signs of neglect: it's an easy bike to drop (ahem - take my word for it), and I think somewhere along the line the stevedores might have done just that. 

Still, Bavaria's best fires up first time and after a morning of paperwork I'm pleased to be motoring out of the port and back into town.  I won't be hanging around long - this is Day 5 in Aswan already.


Like Cleopatra, she has a barge all to herself..
What did I do for a week in Aswan? Well, there's the remote temples of Abu Simbel, a 200km bus trip in the 'wrong' direction.  I skipped that, and regret it later.  There's a trip to the Aswan Dam.  I skip that, too, after refusing to pay the inflated ticket price to drive along a wall. 

There's a famous "unfinished" obelisk in the local quarry, which is 42m long and would have weighed in at 1168 tons if completed.  (A Rolls Royce car weighs about 2 tons, I was once taught, if you need a comparison.)  I visit, but I'm not as impressed as I'd expected - laying horizontal, the granite piece just doesn't deliver the wow-factor. 

 Aswan has a good souk, if you've not been to one of those before, and I wander it nightly, looking for food and wondering when my motorcycle will arrive.  Caught up with admin matters in the UK, by day I visit neither the Nubian Museum nor local Nubian villages.  I neglect several worthy tomb sites and 'pass' on the atmospheric felucca sailing boat trips along the Nile.   Sadly, this stay in Aswan is turning into a damp squib!   I need to get a grip, fast.

The next day I hitch a boat ride with some Londoners to the island of Philae: the temple complex dedicated to the Goddess Isis.  Her cult goes back to the 7th century BC, but the temple I look around today is dated 'only' from 380BC.  This is a slightly fake date, as the temple was relocated (with the help of UNESCO) between 1972 and 1980.  The remains needed raising out of the flooded reservoir created by the newly finished Aswan Dam.  Thus, the island is enhanced and the massive stone structures were relocated and rebuilt here. 

Perhaps because my expectations were low as a result, I actually find the temple very impressive.  I snap away at the picturesque setting, and nod with respect at a point well made by my trusty guide book: 

As the world’s first nation-state, predating the civilisations of Greece and Rome by several millennia, Egypt was responsible for some of the most important achievements in human history – it was where writing was invented, the first stone monuments erected and an entire culture set in place, which remained largely unchanged for thousands of years.

Banksy has some way to go yet...
It's the first time I've seen hieroglyphs, and even today the quality of workmanship seems outstanding.  Some areas show faint traces of paint, giving an fleeting impression of how this place must have struck visitors from ancient times.  

Some of the magnificent carvings were defiled by occupiers over the years.  The crusading Christians were particularly keen to deface the statues, it seems, but even WWII soldiers couldn't help themselves.  Then again, I suppose this is now part of the history of the place too.

The trip to the temple has made a good impression on me, and I think the tricks and traps of the touts will be worth enduring if the other historical sites of Egypt match up to Philae.

-----------------------------------------------



In good spirits I've ridden up to Luxor and toured more temples and tombs here.  The famous ones - like the Valley of the Kings - are sometimes a bit too crowded and exploited for my liking.  I'd just as happily hike around the nearby hills, but the midday heat is still considerable, so I settle for the same behaviour as everyone else.  But, with photos forbidden you'll have to hunt the web if you are interested - for example, here: http://www.molon.de/galleries/Egypt/Luxor/Kings/ 


Valley of the Kings: Not much to see from the outside... little sign of the dozens of tombs hidden in the hills 
Getting up early I tour the Karnak Temple: quite spectacular with its field of massive, carved stone columns soaring into the azure sky.  The Temple of Luxor seems tame by comparison, but all the sites have their charm: if you look closely you notice a detail or line of beauty, even in structures so grand and imposing as these.

The Temple of Karnak
Recipe for rabbit stew?

Karnak: a forest of columns


I try to keep up, but there are enough sites to keep you busy for years.  Here's an interesting observation:

From my Lonely Planet Guide:  Hieroglyphs, meaning ‘sacred carvings’ in Greek, are the pictorial script used by the ancient Egyptians. It was first developed as a means of recording produce and recent discoveries at Abydos dating to around 3250 BC make this the earliest form of writing yet found, even predating that of Mesopotamia.

Although they can seem incredibly complex, the majority of hieroglyphic inscriptions are simply endless repetitions of the names and titles of the pharaohs and gods, surrounded by protective symbols. Names were of tremendous importance to the Egyptians and as vital to an individual’s existence as their soul (ka), and it was sincerely believed that ‘to speak the name of the dead is to make them live’.

You need to back up to get the scale of the things.  Up close, the original carving is delightful.
In order to prevent this kind of obliteration, names were sometimes carved so deeply into the rock it is possible to place an outstretched hand right inside each hieroglyph, as is the case of Ramses III’s name and titles at his funerary temple of Medinat Habu.

Yup, some of those carvings were mighty deep.  I wish I could think even half as deeply about the significance of all that I'm looking at.  If you come to Egypt, do a bit of pre-reading and I think you'll enjoy it even more.





[After reading all the Egypt blog posts, you can view a full photo gallery here: Photo Gallery - Egypt Slideshow ]


No comments:

Post a Comment