Tuesday 3 July 2012

Cape Town




Yesterday, Tuesday, I flew into Cape Town - I had the whole day to find the warehouse holding my motorcycle and, once there, set about reassembling my steed.  Front wheel, handle bars, wind screen, mirrors; reconnect the fiddly battery connections and pack on my luggage.  It takes me longer than it should - but I always need a few goes before the packing is as tight as a drum.

'Econo Trans', my shipping agents at this end, have been very decent and worth their fee.  Minimal fuss, maximum delivery - my bike is pristine.  At 4pm I wave and toot farewell like Mr Toad, and ride out into the city to find my accommodation.


Now, you may remember the cheerful South African couple that I met in Ushuaia in March 2012, Andrew and Cathy?  They ride a BMW GS too, and we still swap notes on roads ridden or planned.  Check out their blog for more adventures from the road... 


 Feeling sad that they'd not be in their home city to greet me, Andrew and Cathy fixed it for me to stay for a little while with Cath's colleague, Eve. 

I've been in steady text message contact today with Eve, a pretty young doctor who recently moved cross country to Cape Town.  She's a blond, sporty surfer girl who's now swamped in the daily tumult of hospital waiting lists.  I'm impressed when I find the spectacular penthouse apartment in Green Point that Eve is renting.  The modern open plan layout leads onto generous balconies and the views are excellent.  What a treat!  She assure me her job is not sufficiently lucrative to afford something like this - it's a very short term let until her own (more modest) apartment is ready!  


On Thursday morning I just work on outstanding 'admin' matters, until it stops raining.  Then, in the chilly afternoon sun, I take a turn of the nearby V&A Waterfront.  The boardwalk leads me past buskers and tour pushers, pirate ships and fancy shopping arcades.  Homemade xylophones compete with elderly Cape Jazz players for a few pennies.  In the low light Table Mountain glows above the city and the waterfront is a great place to meander.   I've got my bearings of the city now, and it's a fine place to plan an adventure.


Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment