Tuesday 24 July 2012

Lesotho - a pass master


I convinced myself not to travel into Lesotho.  

A detour, it would add unnecessary mileage when I've barely any tread left on my tyres.  Also, 'The Kingdom In The Sky' is entirely above 1000m so, this being winter, the notoriously poor roads could be snow-blocked, icy or greasy with mud from any melt waters.  They get enough snow to run a small ski resort... 

Coming in from sea level, altitude sickness could be a problem, too:  I had the map open, and noticed that the most plausible route would require navigating the following:
  • the Sani Pass (2,874m); 
  • the Kotisephola Pass (3240m); and 
  • the Tlaeeng Pass (3251m).

The first two of these are only supposed to be tackled with a 4x4 or special permission, and a biking friend recounted a very tough ride up on unladen off-road motorbikes: 'Lots of feet down, paddling... ' he warned.

All told, this landlocked country was best avoided and left for another trip.

Figuring I'd have to be brave or foolhardy to ignore sage advice and my own thorough rationalisation, I put in a full tank of gas and swept off along the R617 towards Underberg and Himeville, busy little gateway towns to the southern Drakensberg, and - oh, my - the start of the Sani Pass.  Naughty bike: look where you've brought me!

Gorge-ous views on the way in...
Ok, well, the weather forecast was very positive, and I'd found a picture of the Sani pass that made it appear no worse, shall we say, than some other rufty-tufty routes I've ridden. By the time I reached the police checkpoint (where two-wheel-drive cars get turned back), I was in good spirits and feeling confident.  'Only 8km to the top?', I repeated back to the grinning policeman, 'Well, that should be easy then - I've got plenty of time'.   And, with Hubris now dancing a jig in the sun, I set off up the gradient.

The road to Sani Top (as it's known) sneaks through a curvaceous valley, softening you up with lumps and bumps but generally just providing distraction from the towering cliffs up above.  The views are 'gorge-ous'.  This incline was steep, but undulating and I never really wondered where the huge altitude gain was going to come from.  At the head of the valley I had my answer:  hair pins and switchbacks led up to the heavens.  I frowned at the rocks and shale thrown loose by the convoys of 4x4s skidding their way down, or gasping their way up.

I found enough grip from my tyres, and enough grunt from my huge Bavarian mountain goat, to slowly climb the steepling track.  It was difficult and, in the thinning air, tiring too.  I was sweating with the concentration and my forearms were aching with the exertion: I had to stay on the pegs and lean into the slope, whilst keeping the front wheel light enough to thread through gaps in the rocks.

I caught and passed the grinding 4x4s ahead of me (nice to know they'd be my broom wagons, if needed), and kept up the steady control of my cylinder heads, whilst all about were losing hair:  the frightening corners gave passengers saucer-sized eyes.

Rocks, shale, cambers, incline, corners... all dispatched with calm efficiency, I felt.  But I didn't spot Hubris until too late:  she was positioned on a corner, just below a little waterfall... where the overflow (and night time temperatures, presumably) had laid a thick layer of ice across the turn-in point.  The ice was dirt coloured, and I had no inkling of it until my front wheel lost traction and started slipping backwards-downwards-and-sideways - which is quite a manoeuvre to deal with when you've got a huge drop off behind you.


With my feet down I steadied the bike - the back tyre had found something to grip, so we teetered a little whilst Hubris tittered into her hands.  I had to somehow get the bike diagonally across four feet of ice, on a 1 in 3 cambered slope, from a standing start; plus, generate enough momentum to get up the rocks steps blocking further progress.   Hmm, we didn't cover that on the Wales Off-Road Skills course, as I recall.

After a game attempt, the Bavarian lay down for a little rest, whilst I contemplated how to get across the ice.  Some of the 4x4 drivers gave me a hand to haul the motorbike upright and across to some solid ground.  Always have a broom wagon, I tells myself.  From there, I launched skilfully up the inside of the hairpin, executed a very tight turn and smoothly continued the ascent. Up, up the last half dozen hairpins and I crested the pass chastened, but proud of my steed.  What a bike!

Good looking blanket, eh?
The time was only 2.30pm, and across the desolate plain the conditions seemed quite benign.  I felt it would be prudent to get over the next pass and back onto asphalt... who knew what the weather might do overnight?  (The forecasters had been very wrong before, I noted grimly.)  So, I added more altitude to the day and set off. 

I took my time with a few photos and movie footage.  I was riding into the low winter sunlight and the scenery glistened strangely - the grasslands appeared silver and patches of snow flashed gold onto my tinted visor.  The goats and sheep, in silhouette on the high verges ahead of me, had back lit outlines that glowed like the characters in the old adverts on TV for ReadyBrek.  

It was beautiful up here - remote, barren and dirt poor... but beautiful nonetheless.

ReadyBrek glow?
With scrabbling tyres I crested the second, Kotisephola Pass (3240m); this time feeling a little breathless with the altitude.  The familiar tingle on my lips and toes reminded me that I'd already taken my last dose of mountain medicine, but as I couldn't detect a headache or any other symptom of altitude sickness I felt reassured.  It was cold though, so I switched on the electrics for some comfort.

I bumped past deserted half-build huts, and these soon became inhabited dwellings.  When I paused for a photo fifteen children quickly surrounded me:  hands outstretched pleading for coins.  I gave them my loose change, but felt sorry that such 'donations' probably do damage to their community in the long run.  On the other hand, I've read that this highlands area of the country is so poor any contribution may be worthwhile at the moment.


A few kilometres down the road I paused for one photo too many.  I shuffled to a halt - worried about a camber that wasn't - and promptly dropped the bike, again.  I swore loudly and started berating myself like Andy Murray used to.  It was such a dumb mistake to make - I'd put my foot down into a hollow and overbalanced.  My embarrassment was compounded when a battered minivan pulled up and the passengers jumped out to help me lift the bike out of the hollow.  Yes, I could have put into practise the proper solo lifting techniques; but better to swallow that pride and accept a helping hand or five.  The locals thought it was a hoot.

I stayed the night in a Farmer's Training Centre at Mokhotlong - as cheap and cheerful as it was cold.  I'm getting used to beautiful star-scapes (this last six months has taken me to many areas with no surrounding artificial lights), and this night was superb - only a sliver of new moon, so the constellations were pin-sharp in their complexity and the Milky Way curled across the sky like a plume of smoke.  I slept like a log.

-----------------------------

Day 2 in the Mountain Kingdom, and I start by fixing a few little knocks and scuffs picked up yesterday.  The delay is deliberate: I want the sun to melt as much overnight ice as possible!  Then, it's off along the asphalt A1 to my last major pass: the Tlaeeng Pass (3251m).

I pootled slowly through the Mokhotlong town centre: it's a trading crossroads really, with plenty of bustle.  Small tin shacks line the road, selling a tiny quantity of goods - a dozen pairs or jeans, say, or just a single tray of homemade jewelry.  Outside the dimly lit, dusty supermarket a few horses stand patiently - they make me feel like I'd ridden into a Wild West movie. 


But, instead of ten gallon hats, the locals are in warmer headgear and - wrapped up against the cold - in full length woollen blankets.  The latter are very important here, signifying many different aspects of local custom.  The original designs (first imported by English traders in the 1860's) have been adopted and adapted, and are now a source of national pride (as well as warmth).  Particular colours or designs have significance: for example, young brides are supposed to wear a blanket around their hips until their first child has been conceived.  Boys get different blankets, corresponding to their stages in life.

The asphalt took me north, away from town.  The sky was clear and the light so very bright it seemed to have burnt and bleached the land.  Up high, I could see vast distances through the thin, clean air.  Yet, the sweeping views were missing trees and topsoil in equal measure: a characteristic of damaging farming practises carried out for decades.  Scratching a living from the thin mountain soil - by  comparison with deep, fertile plains - has brought the local tribes to the brink of starvation on occasion.  They retreat and try to cultivate higher up the hills.  When the summer rains come, I learnt, the roads turn to mud and the rivers wash away forever tons of fertile soil.  Only recently have farmers been taught the long term value of terraces.

I ride through hills lined with huts, and narrow valleys with a few small flocks of sheep or goats.  Some folks just stare, but many raise a hand in friendly welcome as I pass by.  Young guys, sitting out on a road fence or lounging close to their cattle, simply stop talking and watch me take the bend.  I note there are no bicycles or mopeds to be seen, in contrast to almost any village in Asia.

Hardly the fertile surroundings a farmer would pick, I imagine, given a choice... 
Like the soil, settlements thin as the road starts to climb again.  I ride gingerly up to and past the snowline, then follow the signs for an hour until I reach the ski resort.  This mountain has the Tlaeeng Pass (3251m), and by now I'm properly cold - why did I pack away my heated waistcoat this morning?

The terrain is getting rougher, and potholes require careful attention.  On the way down, my self-restraint is rewarded: I get a good look at the ice sculptures hanging off the cliff edges of the road.   Potholes on the apex of bends, and ice sheets in the shadows remind me that this is no place to lose concentration.

Leaving the highlands, I'm struck by the rust coloured grasses and sandstone.  It a different pastel shade from this morning, though I fear the movie won't pick it up.  I ride further, impressed by the picturesque settlements - these are beautiful scenes in their own way.

At last I reach the northern edge of Lesotho, and the frontier town of Butha Buthe.  I've stayed in the country only 24 hours and seen so much already.  I will resist the temptation to circumnavigate the rest of the nation.  Nevertheless, from the 'Roof of Africa Road', as this route has been called, I feel I've gained a valuable perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment