Saturday 24 November 2012

England Expects: We're Coming Home (Part 1)


The British Cemetery, Tilloy.  Near Arras, France

It's Saturday.  Our last morning in France.  Just on the outskirts of Arras, Steve and I locate a British cemetery to which our father has given us directions.   Front and centre, sort of, we find the grave of Captain Douglas Stanley Higgins, of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry.  He's our great, great uncle and we doff our motorcycle helmets in respect.  He died 9 April 1917, aged just 37.  

I'll be just 37 myself in a few weeks, but my brief push across France could not be more different to his continental campaign in WW1.  Almost a century separates us, but there's that thing about family to bridge the decades. 

I'm nervy and curious, instinctively so, as my brother and I inspect the smart lines.  Medic lies next to artillery man lies next to infantry officer.  And so on, and on and on.  

All the gravestones are carved from handsome Portland Stone, sourced from Dorset, England.  In addition to the name and dates of the underlying solider - if known - each stone bears the title and insignia of the regiment that he honoured.  The care and attention taken to slow chisel these details is touching.  It contrasts with the rushed fate of young men dropped by machine gun fire, or cut from the scene in an instant by shells and shrapnel. 

It's probably natural that I've begun, however gently, to weigh the sum of my journey: to measure it against something.  That something should certainly not include the world wars: any incident I can recount is dwarfed by what happened at the front; my own acts of endurance rendered pathetic when measured against those suffered by Tommy, by Dick and by Harry.

When we leave the cemetery we're quiet and pensive.  The heavy fabric of history provides cold comfort.

Low cloud and drizzle are also now making this a gloomy, wet ride - I think for the first time since I left Ethiopia.  Riding in our waterproofs across the expanse of French countryside rain soaks through our gloves and is dripping down our necks.  We pass more and still more war cemeteries and memorials.

Grandpa DD fought in WW2.  He was Lt. Col in the Royal Artillery - their
insignia from WW1 is shown above.  By 1958 he'd risen to Major. 
The weather seems to suit the setting.  Yet those who slipped or fell in these same muddy fields endured conditions I can barely imagine, despite the rain.  Today a mild misfortune earns professional counselling, a genuine shock might get diagnosed as PTSD; but what of all those poor sods who saw, heard, felt and smelt the brutal months of trench warfare?  I wonder how anyone who made it home ever led ordinary lives afterwards - and what would constitute ordinary after such experience?  

The weather is a metaphor also for my own sadness that this motorcycle adventure is nearing the end.  I'm feeling melancholy as we ride in the truck spray, along autoroute A26, bearing north west ever closer to Calais. 

I'm cheered that my brother is with me, as he has been for many significant chapters in my life.  Together, we can focus on the job of following the toll road, jumping a train and getting home safe.  He knows me well enough to give me space, without filling these strange final hours with troubling questions: what did it all mean?  What'll you do now?  Would you do it all again?  Some folks say a long journey provides you with answers - perhaps: but it raises just as many quesitons.  Steve understands that.

I know I must evaluate my experiences, and examine more closely what will make me happy at the end of the next ten or twenty or thirty years.  I need to resolve the half-thoughts and casual musing that occupy me part of every day; remind myself to make the most of the life fate rations me beyond the age of 37.

At 12.30pm the doors hiss shut and we feel the train strain and then speed us towards England.  It's exciting and my earlier melancholy is lifting - rising like the steam from my gloves, which I've tucked on top of the bike's hot cylinder heads to dry.  Only twenty minutes to go...






No comments:

Post a Comment